Wednesday, April 18, 2007

REAL-ID violates our freedoms

This is a note I e-mailed to a legislator, Eric Bedingfield, who represents a district just south of ours, here in Greenville County. I may send a version of it to the rest of those on the Committee, and I will most certainly try to get some of those in Mr. Bedingfield's district writing and calling him on this issue.


Hello Mr. Bedingfield! My name is Josiah. I am a homeschooled Greenville County 15-year-old who appreciates your service to our area. Having understood that you are currently a member on on the Education and Public Works Committee about to review the proposed resolution (S. 449) against the REAL-ID Act, I wish to respectfully notify you regarding the position of many (including myself) towards this Federal measure.

The current language of the resolution is very weak, and fails to address the FREEDOM ISSUES surrounding implementing REAL-ID in South Carolina. Financial concerns are indeed appropriate. However, the bigger problem with REAL-ID is the fact that it will undermine personal liberty, security, and privacy.

An incredible spectrum of organizations, from the Southern Poverty Law Center to the League of the South, and from the ACLU to the Conservative Caucus, have expressed strong opposition to the REAL-ID's threatened encroachments of our freedom.

Please read the big yellow NVCCA booklet they gave you, and see whether you could support the proposed amendments to S. 449. The amendments would strengthen the resolution a good deal. Several states, including New Hampshire, Maine, Arizona, and Idaho, have already passed measures similar to those the NVCCA is working for.

I for one do not wish to live in a surveillance state when I grow up. I wish to have the same opportunities as America has traditionally and wonderfully stood for. I wish to live in a lawful, free nation which acknowledges our God-given, inalienable rights! So now it is my turn to take a stand.

Thank you very much for considering my opinion. Feel free to e-mail me at
Rjmpilgrim@aol.com for more information, or you may also visit my blog at http://www.worldviewsrevolution.blogspot.com/.

I look forward to your support of the amendments opposing REAL-ID's infringement on American liberty.


Your friend,
R. Josiah Magnuson

No comments: